Now this is important to note - cheeeez does NOT taste like cheese. Nothing can replace the delicious goodness of true cheese. However, if you don't actually expect it to taste like cheese, or you have a child who doesn't actually know any better, then this is awesome stuff.
CHEEEEZ
6 cups flour (any kind will do - even rice flour)
6 cups nutritional yeast flakes (you can buy this for super cheap in the bulk bins at almost any health food store. Last time I bought it, it was $7.99/lb but this stuff is so light that a pound is a LOT)
4 T. salt
2 T. onion powder
2 T. chili powder
1 T. garlic powder
1 T. dry ground mustard
This makes a big mix that you can keep in a canister. When you want to make it, it is just 1 part powder, and 2 parts liquid (rice milk, water, whatever - well juice would be gross).
You combine them using a whisk and heat over medium heat until it is thickened and smooth. It thickens really fast so stay right with it. Depending on what you are using it for you might want it thinner or thicker. Just add a bit more rice milk if you want it thinner and a bit more powder if you want it thicker.
How I use it:
Mac 'n Cheeeez - Cook up 1 cup cheeeez powder and 2 cups rice milk. Also cook 1 box of pasta. Mix them together.
Pizzas - I make my daughter pizza like any other pizza, but at the end instead of sprinkling cheese on, I make up the cheese sauce and spoon it on top of the other toppings and bake as normal. How much you make for this depends on how much pizza you make. Sometimes I like to make a lot of little individual sized pizzas like this and then freeze them. Then if we decide to order pizza, I can just pull it out of the freezer and heat it up for her.
Nacho Cheeeez - 1 cup cheeeez powder and 2 cups rice milk. Sprinkle in some dry ground red pepper flakes as well and cook up as normal. Amount of flakes depends on how spicy you want it. Dip tortilla chips in it.
Grilled Cheeeez or Cheeeez Quesadillas - I put it between bread or tortillas and fry it up like normal.
Oh and one more thing - I put plain nutritional yeast flakes in an old spice bottle use it like Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on pasta.
3 comments:
bethany- have you tried this recipe with rice flour? how does it taste? is it good. be honest. i'm trying to find a cheese substitute with no soy.
Yes it works fine with Rice Flour!
Honestly? As I said up top there - nothing replaces the true taste of cheese. However, as long as you don't actually expect it to taste like real cheese, then it tastes fine for what it is.
I don't even know if that made sense! :-P
LOVED this!! it doesn't taste like real cheese and i appreciated the note about that, but... i was so surprised by how goood it did taste! and i was thankful for that, because this recipe makes A LOT... and i even cut it in half! i sprinkled lots of red pepper flakes over my mac n cheeez. yuuum!!
Post a Comment